Replacement windows are one of the most common and popular home improvements, which is why there are so many details and questions around the topic. For an educational head start, we give you this quick guide to replacement windows.
Detecting a Window That Needs to Be Replaced
• Condensation frequently appears on or between glass panes – a health and energy efficiency issue
• Difficulty opening or operating a window – a safety and comfort issue
• Drafty areas around the window frame – a comfort and energy efficiency issue
• Water stains or rot on wood window sashes or sills – a mold and structural issue
• Locks don’t work or are missing – a security issue
Selecting the Right Window
There is an endless variety of types of windows and price points. It becomes easier to narrow down your choices by considering the following:
• Choosing a style easy to operate and addresses safety and energy efficiency issues
• Selecting a look that compliments both the exterior and interior design of your home
• Adhering to historical or neighborhood association requirements
• Understanding the structure of the wall around the window
• Providing a strong manufacturer’s warranty and a workmanship warranty
Choosing a Window Installer
The most important part of replacement windows is how they are installed.
The most expensive window will perform badly if installed wrong, while the cheapest window can perform admirably if installed correctly. Choosing a qualified window installer is assurance your new windows will perform properly and not cause other, unintended, problems.
A carpenter certified in window installation will have a holistic view of how your new windows interact with the whole house. For instance, if structural or water management issues are uncovered while removing the old window, a carpenter can correct them before installing the new window. A knowledge-guided window installation keeps your home – and its new windows – safe, healthy and valuable.
The Exteriors by Mosby method of selecting and installing windows includes treating your home with the utmost respect while taking care of all the details that deliver effectiveness and efficiency for your window investment.
And for additional peace of mind, Exteriors by Mosby includes a 10-year workmanship warranty with every window installation. Have us walk you through your replacement window options by calling Exteriors by Mosby at 314.909.8383 or contacting us here.