One Mosby Client’s Alarming Squirrel Story

Mosby Building Arts clients from University City had a recent experience that stresses the importance of having up-to-date carbon monoxide and smoke detectors.

As part of the client’s bathroom remodel, new smoke/carbon monoxide detectors were installed throughout their home by Mosby. Although there were existing smoke detectors, it was explained to the client that the new smoke detectors, along with carbon monoxide detectors were an important part of the remodel to bring their house up to code.

Earlier this year, the homeowners woke to an alarm stating: “Warning: Carbon Monoxide Detected!” They called the University City Fire Department. The fire department did their walk-through and detected a CO2 leak that started in the home’s basement from the furnace and hot water heater. Spire Gas Company promptly came out and inspected their furnace and hot water heater, identifying that both vent through their chimney. The next day it was determined by a chimney sweep company that a squirrel had built a nest embedded in their flue, blocking the exhaust from escaping.

The homeowners were frightened to think what may have been, had those detectors not been installed by Mosby.

Why Updating Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors to Building Code Matters

At Mosby, we understand that home improvement goes beyond aesthetics and comfort. Ensuring the safety and well-being of your family is paramount. One often overlooked aspect of home safety is the proper installation and maintenance of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless gas produced by fuels like natural gas, oil, and wood. Exposure to elevated levels of CO can be life-threatening, causing symptoms such as dizziness, headaches, nausea, and even death. The danger lies in its silent and undetectable nature, making it essential to have functional carbon monoxide detectors installed.

Smoke detectors, on the other hand, play a critical role in alerting you to the presence of a fire. They are your first line of defense against a potentially catastrophic event. Ensuring that your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are up to code is crucial, but so is regular maintenance. Test your detectors monthly, replace batteries annually, and follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for replacement intervals. By doing so, you can rest assured that your family is protected against the unforeseen dangers of fires and carbon monoxide.

Building codes exist to protect the occupants of a home from potential hazards. Staying compliant with these codes is not just a recommendation but often a legal requirement. In many regions, building codes mandate specific requirements for the installation and placement of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Failure to meet these codes can result in fines and legal and safety consequences. Be wary of any company that tells you it is OK to skirt the system.

To ensure your next home improvement project is done correctly and safely, contact Mosby Building Arts at 314-909-1800, or click here.